This game is a real-time strategy game for PC in which you have different cultures to select from with the aim to overcome your opponents. This version includes all the features from the original game and also new improvements with this expansion.
This game represents a walk through history, learning about historical characters and battles. It allows you to choose between 13 different civilizations and make them evolve from the falling of Rome to the Middle Ages, adding new discoveries and conquering the resources of your enemies.
Once the download completes, you will see that this game is in the usual style of these kinds of games. First of all you have a main building, which depending on your civilization, represents the center of your power. Use your villagers to gather resources and build new constructions to create new technology and a fearsome army to fight against your opponents.
Each civilization in this game has unique units with their strong and weak points. These features determine your strategy and style of playing. Take advantage of your army and overcome your enemies with surprise attacks. You can also play with diplomacy by offering truces and negotiating alliances.
You have 2 different game modes that will entice you to spend hours and hours playing. The campaign mode is for a single player. In this mode you will play as Genghis Khan, Saladin or Joan of Arc, amongst other historical characters. You need to accomplish the objectives of the different scenarios to fulfill the campaigns completely.
In the multiplayer mode you will be able to play against different users or against the AI in certain stages. You can also create a random map and play different modes like deathmatch, in which you need to overcome all the players or regicide, in which you need to eliminate your rival’s monarch.
For example, you have two interesting alternatives to this game. Stronghold is a good option to keep an eye on, as it is a strategy game based on real historical events. Empire Earth III, on the other hand, adds a little fiction to the game style and will lead you into the future.
Age Of Empires II Gold Edition Features
The main features of this game are listed below:
- It contains Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings and Age of Empires II: The Conquerors expansion pack
- It is set in the Middle Age with 13 civilizations (Britons, Byzantines, Teutons, Mongols, Chinese, Persians, Japanese, Celts, Goths, Franks, Saracens, Vikings and Turks) and five from the Conquerors (the Aztecs, Mayans, Koreans, Spanish and Huns)
- Single player and multiplayer modes (up to 8 players)
- 4 periods of time: Dark Age, the Feudal Age, the Castle Age and the Imperial Age
- Some missions are based on historical events
- Different types of units: archers, cavalry, siege weapons, infantry and naval units from the Age of Kings; and 12 more from the Conquerors (War Wagon, Jaguar Warrior, Tarkan, Missionary, Turtle Ship or Genitour)
- Map editor to create new locations and missions
- The Conquerors includes four more single player campaigns: Attila’s rise to power, Montezuma’s battles, the adventures of El Cid and Battles of the Conquerors, with single scenarios based on real battles (Lepanto, Yamazaki, Hastings, etc.)
- New maps to play (Arena, Ghost Lake, Scandinavia, Yucatán, etc.)
- Improved AI
For more information, you can visit the author's site .
This game is a good strategy game which has made it's way into the classics of the genre. The diversity of civilizations and units are the main strong points, along with the gameplay which will keep you playing for hours.
Some of it's functions are restricted
- Includes expansion improvements
- You can enrich the game with free patches
- May be dated